Friday, December 14, 2012

'Tis the Season to be Helpful

Eleven more days until Christmas!  That means there are only eleven more days to prove to Santa that I'm a very good boy and deserve a new plush toy (though I wouldn't mind rolling on coal either).  And what's the best way for me to prove that I'm a good boy?  By helping my family with their chores and projects.

On Wednesday, I decided that I was going to spend the day helping Sister.  The first thing we did was decorate the inside of the house.  My contributions to the task were unwrapping the decorations by grabbing and ripping apart their protective tissue paper and spotting Sister while she stood on a chair to decorate the windows (she repeatedly muttered something about me always being underfoot and not respecting personal space--it's statements like those that could put her firmly on Santa's naughty list, but I'm not going to tattle to Santa because that might jeopardize my standing on the good list).  I also provided free decorating advice.  I barked and barked telling her that she shouldn't put that big fluffy Christmas teddy bear so high up on the shelf because I wouldn't be able grab it and play with it and that her stocking was also up too high and needed to be lowered to a more appropriate location (someplace where I could inspect it regularly to make sure its contents were safe).  Ultimately, Sister did not take any of my suggestions.  It goes without saying that I was quite insulted by her decision, but I didn't let it get to me or affect my fun loving and good natured persona because I didn't want to annoy Santa.

Then Sister went to work.  I scurried around the house looking for any pieces of tissue paper I could dispose of (after an appropriate amount of tearing and ripping of course) and I contemplated moving Sister's stocking myself (in an obvious oversight on her part, Sister left some big boxes in front of her stocking which kept me from getting close enough to it grab it).  I called out to Santa, "Hey Santa, I can't find anything else to help out with so if it's alright by you (and I know you're busy so only answer me if you object), I'm going to take a little nap until I think of something else to do."  I got no response, so I climbed up on the couch (yeah, I know I shouldn't be sitting there, but I'm sure Santa understands the importance of a comfy spot), circled twice, curled up into a ball, and fell asleep.

Later that night, Sister decided to go up to bed early so that she could wrap some presents before falling asleep.  Eager to help, I followed her up the stairs and proceeded to check out all the tools she had brought with her.  First I sniffed the scissors, but, just as I was about to pick them up, Sister swooped in and took them from me.  Then I sniffed the tape.  It was really sticky and every time I sniffed at it it tugged at my whiskers.  Seeing this as a potential danger, I decided right then and there to get it out of Sister's way before it accidentally got stuck on something.  I got three steps away before Sister noticed and took the tape away from me.  Next I moved in to sniff the wrapping paper, but Sister kept telling me to "leave it" as though she expected me to grab it and rip it to shreds.  A bag of gifts were next, and when I grabbed the handles of the bag, Sister pounced (she's actually a lot faster than she looks). 

Missed a spot.
Since I obviously wasn't succeeding at helping Sister with her wrapping, I decided that I should provide her with music instead.  I ran to my pillow and started scratching away like I was playing the washboard in an old time jug band and barking at various decibels and pitches.  After a couple of songs, I noticed that Sister was starting to pack up and put away her supplies (I guess she just wasn't into wrapping).  Then, I saw it: the one single package Sister had managed to wrap.  I scurried over to inspect her work.  It wasn't too bad a job, but I did notice that one corner was not completely taped down.  In the interest of pointing out the loose piece, I grabbed hold of it in my mouth and gave a mighty tug.

Shortly thereafter, I noticed that Sister seemed to be annoyed at something.  I'm not sure what exactly happened to make her so upset, but, being the good dog I am, I curled up next to her and rested my chin on her leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment