Saturday, February 9, 2013

Snow!

Remember last summer when I wrote about how long it's been since I got to play in the snow--a real snow and not some light dusting?  Well, today my dreams were answered by about a foot of white fluffy snow.

But I didn't know it at first.  You see, I woke up bright and early this morning wanting to go outside for, well, personal reasons.  First I went to Ma and barked at her, but she showed no sign of getting up.  Undeterred, I then went to Pa, jumped up on the bed, and stood on his back.  Nothing.  "Fine," I thought as I scurried into the kitchen and started banging my head against the door (I've been told my knobby head is the hardest part of my body).  Eventually, Ma got up and opened the door for me.

It was then that I saw it; there was snow everywhere!  Whoo-hoo!

Barking with joy!
I had great fun playing in the snow.  First, I ran around like a crazy dog in the backyard and then I proceeded to bark at Ma and Pa for a half an hour while they shoveled and plowed the sidewalk (and just so everyone knows, I was reminding them that they should lift with their legs and not with their backs).  I even succeeded in waking up Sister, asleep in her room, with all my barking.  What an added bonus! 

Now, I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little concerned that Sister was going to come outside angry because I woke her up, but it turns out that I was completely wrong this time.  In fact, I had even more fun once she joined me.  She chased me around the backyard and threw snowballs at me while I ran around her trying to pick-pocket the mittens out of her coat (which, sadly, I never did succeeded in doing despite multiple attempts).

So much fun!  So much fun!
A little while later, after they had finished digging out our house and the neighbor's house, Ma and Pa got involved in the games Sister and I were playing.  First, they threw shovel-fulls of snow at me while I ran around the backyard at top speed.  Next they built me a snow mountain on the side of the driveway which I dug apart just as quickly as they built it.  I had so much fun!

Attack snowballs!
Then it was time to go in.  Now, I'm not sure how many of my loyal readers are aware of this, but there is one very troubling consequence of playing outside in the snow:  attack snowballs.  When I got inside the house I realized that I had dozens of tiny snowballs stuck all over my legs, under my arms, and down my chest.  While they didn't hurt, I will admit that the ice balls yanking on my fur was less than comfortable, not to mention, very, very cold.  But Sister saved the day.  She knew that I was going to have an icing problem and had a hair dryer all ready to start the melting process.  Seconds later, the ice balls were gone and I was nice and warm.  I curled up in a ball and prepared myself for a well earned nap.  I was awake just long enough to hear Ma and Pa talking about how much more snow fell out east; almost three feet in some places!  I dreamt of playing out there.

I went out a couple of more times during the day.  I helped Sister chip the ice off her car (and tried climbing in when she opened the door to get the ice scrapper--it's really not fair that that car is off limits to me because it is too new and too clean), played fetch with Ma, ate ice, and ran around in the backyard with Pa (which included running chest first into a now much icier and harder snow mountain--but don't worry, I bounced off). 

Oh what fun!
It goes without saying that I am going to sleep well tonight and that I can't wait for the morning to do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment