Monday, September 21, 2020

A Nighttime Mystery

Wearing Pa's Shoes
Click, click, click, click, click.

That was the noise that woke Ma up from a dead sleep this weekend. Without opening her eyes, Ma’s mind immediately went to work trying to identify the sound. Was it a woodpecker hammering on the siding of the house? She opened one eye and saw that it was still very much dark outside. No, woodpeckers wouldn’t be up at whatever hour of the night it was. Maybe it was an owl, she thought. After all, owls had repeatedly been heard in the area over the last handful of weeks. But owls don’t peck at the side of buildings, she concluded. So what could the sound be?

Click, click, click, click, click.

By this time, Pa was also awake. After a few seconds of contemplation, he sat up and looked down at the floor.

Snoozing
There I was, fast asleep, dreaming happy dog dreams of chasing stupid little bunnies and squirrels out of my backyard. And every stride I took in my dream caused my legs to twitch and my toe nails to click, click, click, click, click against the wall.

Mystery solved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment