Saturday, March 6, 2021

Tastes Like Chicken

Did you know that there’s a breed of squirrel that lives on eastern Long Island that can regenerate its tail?

Now, I know what you’re thinking.  You’re thinking, “Rigby, there’s no such thing as a squirrel that regenerates its tail.  If it loses its tail, it doesn’t grow back (see Stumpy).  You’re thinking of those little green lizards you have back at home; like that one you caught all those years ago who jettisoned its tail in your mouth to escape.  You know, the lizard that launched this blog?”


Well, I most certainly have not forgotten about that lizard (or the disgusting wriggling tail I got stuck with), but how else can you explain the fact that twice now I have found the very tip of a squirrel tail lying in the middle of my backyard and yet I have not found a single local squirrel missing part of its tail (and believe me, I chase after every squirrel that crosses my path just to check)?

Anyway, whether it is a mythical breed of squirrel with a regenerating tail or a few seriously unlucky and elusive squirrels that keep losing their tails to horrors unknown, I think we can all agree that it is really creepy to find squirrel pieces scattered across your yard looking for all the world like pom-poms on a craft table. 

But there’s more.  Not only are bits of squirrel tails creepy when they’re littered throughout the yard, but they’re also really tasty (though the fur’s a bit off putting).   Yes, you read that right: Pa found me chewing on the latest bit of squirrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment