Friday, August 10, 2012

All Alone

My weekday lunchtime schedule is fairly predictable.  Sister leaves work at lunchtime to let me out, chase me around the backyard, give me lots and lots of cookies (sometimes I earn them, sometimes she just gives them to me because I have her so well trained), and clean up anything I might have destroyed while she was out (the amount of destruction depends on my mood and whether or not I could find a comfortable place to sleep).  It's a good system...a very good system and Sister is very careful not to stray from it.

Well, that is until today.  Sister didn't come home for lunch.  I was home alone, all by by lonesome, for about eight hours!  EIGHT HOURS!  Sister warned me that she wasn't going to be able to come home at lunch.  She said that she couldn't come home because she had an all day class to go to for work.  Personally, I don't think she tried hard enough.  I'm sure she could have rushed home, and, if not, if she had simply explained to the instructor that she needed to take care of me I'm positive the teacher would have understood (especially if she showed the instructor a picture of me--who can resist my handsome face?).

Anyway, when Sister first left the house this morning, I decided that I was going to spend the next eight hours thinking about how I was going to display my displeasure at being left alone.  Maybe I'd snub her when she came in--refuse to greet her at the door or acknowledge her return.  Or, perhaps I'd pick out something of hers to destroy.  After a while, maybe ten minutes or so, I was so exhausted from thinking that I decided to take a little nap (Ma and Pa were nice enough to leave the air conditioner on in the bedroom so at least I was nice and cool).

Lyle when he was new-2010
Seven hours and fifty minutes later, I was awoken by the sound of the side door opening.  "Someone's home!" I thought as I grabbed my Lyle, Lyle the Crocodile stuffed toy and ran to the door.  "It's Sister!" I thought as she walked through the door.  I wagged my tail, bunked her with my toy, and weaved my way around her legs.  She greeted me with a kiss on the snout and scratched my back as I walked around her showing off my toy.  After letting me out and rubbing my ears a bit, Sister brought me back inside and presented me with my dinner which I ate happily.  I showed my appreciation by wiping my slobbery chin on her jeans.

Obviously, I can't stay mad at Sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment