Friday, August 3, 2012

Stretch Rigby

When you wake up in the morning, do you stretch?  When you feel like all your limbs are in a knot, do you stretch your arms out in an attempt to loosen up?  Did anyone have to teach you?

Well, when I was a little puppy I didn't know how to stretch.  Whenever I tried to stretch my legs out behind me, I ended up falling over and was subsequently mocked by my family.  As a result, I found a different way to stretch.  I'd stand up straight and tall on my four legs and arch my back up in the center.  It was great; I didn't fall over and I got a good stretch.  Unfortunately, I was still mocked because apparently I was now stretching like a cat (at the time I didn't know what a cat was--now I'm truly insulted by the comparison).  "Shouldn't dogs know how to stretch innately?" my family frequently asked aloud.  I felt a bit depressed by my inability to stretch properly but, because I was too busy stealing things, ripping up things, and gnawing on people's hands, I didn't dwell on it too much.

It wasn't until I was a little over one year old that I learned how to properly stretch.  You see, that summer my family was going to take a trip to Maine and decided that I should stay at the home of my good friend Ken the Dog Trainer (Ken was instrumental in turning me into a well behaved dog which was not an easy feat considering I had, in my family's words "a bad attitude" and far too many large gnashing teeth) and the other dogs he was boarding.  Let me tell you, I had so much fun!  I boxed and chest bunked a boxer and learned to play nice with little dogs (that's why I get along so well with my best friend Mecki).  Ken tried to teach me to ring a bell every time I wanted to go outside, but, while I enjoyed eating the peanut butter off the bell, I felt that such a parlor trick was below me and returned to simply barking hysterically at the door or acting up whenever I wanted out.  Anyway, it was from Ken's four legged boarders that I learned my most valuable lesson from.  They taught me how to properly stretch.

When my family picked me up from Ken's house a week later, they noticed that I had become a stretching fool!  I stretched when I came out of my crate.  I stretched when I got up from a nap.  I stretched because I was standing out in the sun.  I stretched because it was Tuesday.  I stretched whenever I got the chance and with each stretch I got better and better at it until I no longer fell over and didn't have to resort to stretching like a cat.

That is, at least until today.

When Sister came home from work to let me out at lunch time, I took advantage of the warm sun and prepared myself for a massive stretch.  While stretching my neck out as far as it would go, I began to walk forward with my front legs leaving my back legs stationary.  I kept walking further and further ahead enjoying the stretch when suddenly my back legs scooted out from under me and I collapsed flat on my belly.  I looked like a dog skin rug what with my back legs sticking straight back behind me.

I glanced around sheepishly hoping that no one saw what had happened.  The laughter emanating from Sister confirmed my greatest fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment