Sunday, June 9, 2013

Feeling Left Out

Despite being the well behaved, handsome, courteous, handsome, witty, and, well, handsome example of dogdom that I am, sometimes, just sometimes, a different word can be applied to me:  jealous.  It's not a very nice word and I'm certainly not proud of it, but I feel that it is my responsibility to show my loyal readers that, while I may appear to be perfect on the outside, I, occasionally, am not.

Meri the Hamster has been getting a lot of attention lately.  Yesterday, she visited the vet to have some food removed from her cheeks (you'll never see me storing food in my cheeks...no sir...everyone knows the best place to store food is in one's stomach) and ever since her trip she's been collecting all the attention that is usually devoted to me.  I can't even count how many times Sister has gone over to her cage to check on her and stroke her back.  And while I certainly wish Meri well, I have to admit that the jealousy bug got to me and, well, let's just say it resulted in my own trip to the vet.  Allow me to explain.

It all happened yesterday as I scurried over to Sister, who had just finished eating lunch, for an ear scratch (okay, let's not kid ourselves, I was checking to see if she had dropped any french fries).  Just as I reached her, however, I felt a twinge in my back.  It was really painful--so painful that I let out a little cry, my back arched upward, and I veered off away from Sister to lay down a few feet away.  After a little while (and an aspirin hidden in a wad of chunky peanut butter), I managed to walk the pain off, but not before I was showered with pets, kisses, and all the attention that was rightfully mine from the start.

While Sister scratched my ears I listened as Ma, Pa, and Sister discussed what they should do next.  Right off the bat, Ma lay down the law saying:  "I'm not going to the vet's office twice in one day...someone else will have to go."  "Thanks Ma," I thought glancing up at her with monkey eyes, "don't be surprised if you find one of your shoes chewed up by morning."  Anyway, my family ultimately decided to forgo the trip to the vet to see if the aspirin would help.

Well, the next day--today--I ended up in the vet's office.  The diagnosis:  muscle spasms.  I was given an anti inflammatory and told to take it easy for a couple of days (which is much harder than it sounds--I forgot the doctor's orders this evening and ran across the yard to bark at a little dog that walked past my house).

Needless to say I'm feeling much better now and Meri and I have agreed to share all the attention from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment