Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Sound of Music

I'm a very observant dog.  I can see (and want) a crumb left on the table from ten feet away, I frequently watch airplanes pass overhead (this really freaks out my family), and I can hear a car door slam two blocks away (which I bring to my family's attention with a thunderous series of barks).  I've also been known to watch people walking in the stands at televised sporting events.  Yep, I notice a lot of things and yesterday was no different.

Last night, after dinner, my family and I congregated in the living room.  Ma, Pa, and Sister decided that they were going to watch a movie but, because the story did not involve a dog (which was probably a good thing seeing that the movie was about zombies and everyone knows that zombie dogs are scary and definitely not good citizens) I quickly lost interest.  But what was I going to do while my family watched their movie?  I scanned the room and noticed that Sister was busy with a crocheting project.  Nonchalantly, I sauntered over to her and tried to steal her ball of yarn, but she was on to me and snatched the yarn from my still open mouth (sometimes it seems like Sister can read my mind--scary).  Disappointed, I scanned the room again for another option.  It was then that I noticed my brand new Mini Mecki toy (which is now missing his inner tube, is covered in mud and slobber, and has a couple of rather large wounds in his fabric brought about by my pearly white teeth) laying alongside the hope chest.  Without hesitation, I pounced on my Mini Mecki, threw myself down onto my pillow beneath the television, and started gnawing away. 

After a little while of chewing I noticed something:  there was a buzzing of sorts; something I both heard and felt through the floor.  I stopped gnawing on my Mini Mecki and looked around the room, but I saw nothing out of the ordinary.  Convinced that I must have imagined the sound, I went back to my toy, but as soon as I bit down on the squeaker I heard and felt the buzzing again.  Just as before, I scanned the room to determine the source of the sound and just as before I found nothing amiss.  Three more buzzes and a new sound was added to the original:  the sound of Ma, Pa, and Sister laughing at me. 

"Silly dog" they told me, "it's the movie's soundtrack you're hearing!"

Boy, did I feel sheepish.  Lucky for me, however, the music stopped shortly thereafter and my family's attention returned to the movie.  After gnawing on my Mini Mecki a few more minutes, I put my head down and fell fast asleep.

It wasn't until today that I found out that my bff Mecki was also troubled by this movie's music.  Obviously movie composers should consider the dogs of the world before they score a film.

No comments:

Post a Comment