Friday, May 31, 2013

My 4th Birthday!


The Birthday Boy!
Today’s my 4th birthday and so far it has been awesome! The day isn’t even over yet and I’ve already been taken on an adventure, been fawned upon by my admirers, and been given more presents than I could ever expect.

My "Replacement"
The day started first thing this morning when Sister, who is desperately trying to make up for the fact that she brought home a ‘replacement me’ from the city yesterday (see picture on right), asked if I wanted to go for a ride. “Of course I do,” I thought, wagging my tail with excitement as Sister grabbed my traveling T-shirt and a bag of cookies. With my collars and shirt on (which was a little annoying considering how it’s been pushing 85 degrees these last two days), I burst from the house and ran to the front gate. It was then that I realized that Ma and Pa had taken their cars to work which meant that the only car left was Sister’s—you know, the one I’m not allowed in. Anyway, I glanced up at Sister with a warning “you don’t expect me to walk in this heat, right?” look. “Don’t worry,” she said, “we’re taking the car!”

At first I was a bit hesitant to get in the car. Despite being given the go ahead, I figured that Sister probably would be less than thrilled if I drooled all over her dashboard. A cookie chucked into the front seat, however, made me forget all my worries and soon we were off (after moving Sister’s rear view mirror with my head and causing the spring loaded sunglass compartment to pop open).

The Library was great. I collected pets and complements on my appearance and temperament from Karin (my bff Mecki’s mom), both Dianes, Shana, Elaine, Theresa, Lori, Rita (Brandy and Ralphie’s mom), Mary, Al, Vito, and Gary. Then Mary brought me a big bowl of water which I happy drank (sadly, Sister insisted on wiping my chin after I finished drinking so that I wouldn’t slobber on everyone too much—doesn’t she understand slobbering is my way of showing affection?). And if getting all the pets in the world wasn’t enough, I realized very early on that the Library was air conditioned! No wonder Sister spends all day there!

After saying our goodbyes, Sister and I headed home which was okay by me because I was exhausted. Nap time was calling my name and I was eager to respond.  

Mini Mecki
Real Mecki
A few hours later, after I got in a nap and Sister visited Old Westbury Gardens and picked up lunch, Sister took me outside and told me it was time to open my first birthday present. From a plastic bag, Sister first removed a greeting card with a picture of a very majestic (though not nearly as majestic as me) Golden Retriever. “This is from your bff,” Sister explained and I wagged my tail with excitement (Mecki always gives the best gifts). Next she pulled a box of cookies out of the bag. I stood on my hind legs to get a better view as she pried the box open and gave me one (on a side note, I would have done a much faster job opening the box and would have eaten a lot more cookies if she let me handle it). Anyway, the cookie was very tasty! Then Sister pulled one final thing out of the bag. It was a brand new Mini Mecki toy and, what made this Mini Mecki better than last year’s Mini Mecki is that this one smelled like my bff too. “Mecki rolled on it,” Sister explained. No wonder it smelled like him!

My New Toy
The Fan, Mini Mecki, & I
Anyway, with my Mini Mecki clenched in my mouth, I scurried into the backyard and flopped down in a nice shady spot to play. And boy did I play! Even with the oppressive heat, I managed to gnaw on the toy, flip it up in the air, drag it through the dirt, and roll on my back while holding it over my head with my paws. I had so much fun! But, it was kind of hot outside so, after a little while, Sister suggested that I take my new toy inside the house. I happily complied and once inside I discovered that Sister had set up a fan in the living room (I really wish she had dragged the window air conditioner up from the basement instead, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers). Anyway, I scurried into the room and threw myself and my toy down in front of the fan.

Sister says there are more presents to come, but I have to wait until later which is fine by me because I’m still having a lot of fun with my Mini Mecki. Everyday should be my birthday!
Thanks Mecki!

No comments:

Post a Comment