Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Chasing Shadows

I don't like it when it gets hot outside.  You wouldn't either if you were born with a full (and devilishly stylish) fur coat.  Well, yesterday it got really hot really quickly, and I guess my brain got a little fried in the heat because, well, let's just say I did something a little foolish.

It started with Sister taking me outside at lunch time.  It was only a little past noon, but it was already hot and sticky outside.  In fact, it was way too hot and sticky to do my normal lunchtime chores (hunt for lizards and patrol the perimeter for bunnies).  So, I decided on my standard hot weather activity:  I scurried into the backyard, found a nice shady patch of cool grass, threw myself on that grass, stretched, then rolled around on my back (don't tell Pa, but while I was wallowing and stretching in the grass I might have "accidentally" pulled up a few clumps of grass out of the ground with my nails and rubbed my head in the freshly exposed dirt). 

Not Just Drool This Time!

Dirt All Over My Head!
Having gotten this doggish behavior out of my system, I stretched one final time and jumped up.  Almost immediately Sister started to laugh.  My head was smeared with dirt and I had those stringy things that fall from the oak tree hanging from my jowls and tangled up in my tail.  Sister said I looked like I was dressed in camouflage gear.  I wagged my tail in agreement.

A little while later, Sister and I were standing in the middle of the driveway; she was flipping through the mail and I was standing directly across from her trying to will her into giving me a cookie (sadly, it didn't work...I guess I'm going to have to work on my telepathy skills).  Then, all of a sudden, a big black bird shaped creature skimmed across the concrete.  I gave chase, as any good Head of Security would, but the creature was too fast and magically disappeared as soon as it reached the grass.  I looked back at Sister to make sure she was okay (I'm always keeping an eye out for my family) and found her doubled over laughing.  "It was a bird's shadow," she told me between guffaws. 

What can I say?  I was crazy from the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment