Friday, May 24, 2013

Breaking Into the "Land of No"


Almost immediately upon being adopted by my two legged family, I was introduced to the “Land of No.”  The definition of the “Land of No” is kind of self explanatory, but, basically, it’s specific places in the house where things I’m not supposed to have access to are kept in an attempt to keep them safe (notice how I used the word attempt here).  When I was a little puppy, the “Land of No” included the back room, the basement, the entire second floor, and the items kept on top of my cage.  As time progressed, and I became more trustworthy, the number of permanent “Lands of No” decreased significantly leaving only the basement (well, Sister’s room is also closed off to me unless I’m supervised, but I don’t think that counts in this instance).  Temporary “Lands of No” however are always a possibility and can sprout up at any time.

The current “Land of No” is the back room and, let me tell you, it is a smorgasbord of shoes, doodads from Ma’s current painting project, and to-be-folded laundry.  Over the last couple of days the room’s door has been pulled closed which is kind of odd seeing that the standard “Land of No” procedure includes a baby gate, but, given what happened today, I guess this change worked out to my benefit.

I broke in.

Now, what really happened was that everyone had left the house and I thought I heard something from behind the closed door.  Casually, I sauntered over to it and gave it a gentle nudge with the top of my head (everyone says it’s the hardest part of my body so I might as well use it) to see if perhaps the door wasn’t closed all the way.  My curiosity was rewarded and the door swung open.

Now, some more troublesome dogs would rush into the room and start gnawing on everything in sight.  Not me, however.  Nope, I am a respectable and mature dog and I know that my responsibility dictates that I keep everything quite business-like and simply peruse the room in search of anything out of the ordinary.

That being said, the shoe attacked me.

I did what I needed to:  I grabbed the shoe, I shook the shoe, and then I slobbered on the shoe.  Once I felt that the shoe had had enough, I dumped it in the threshold of the door and walked away.

The “Land of No” was safe once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment