Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Fourth of July Weekend

This weekend I was introduced to the six saddest words I have ever heard:  "The central air conditioner is broken."  Can't get much more terrifying than that!  But that's not the worst of it.  Please consider that not only was the air conditioning system broken, but I had been promised four glorious days of basking in it (Ma, Pa, Sister, Aunt B, and I were spending the long holiday weekend out east and the promise of central air was the selling point of the trip), we were smack dab in the middle of a heat wave, and the humidity was unbearable (I swear my tail was starting to curl).  And I thought such terrors occurred only in horror movies.

But then, just when I was starting to despair and beginning to turn into a giant melted dog puddle on the floor, something wonderful happened.

It began with Pa and Sister driving away in the nice, cool, air conditioned car.  I won't lie, I was majorly annoyed that Pa and Sister were essentially abandoning Ma, Aunt B, and I in the hot-as-hell house while they gallivanted around town with the air conditioner set to its highest setting.  So what did I do?  I sulked (I'm a world class sulk-er).  About thirty minute into my sulking session (technically, it was more like pant-pant-sulk, pant-pant-sulk), Pa and Sister returned, but rather than come back inside the house, they lingered outside on the deck making strange shuffling and gurgling sounds.  I barked a couple of times to voice my displeasure at having my sulking session rudely interrupted and added a couple more for being excluded from the car ride, but Pa and Sister ignored me and continued doing whatever they were doing.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Pa came back into the house, put my collar and leash on me, and told me that he had a big surprise.  I wagged my tail gently (I didn't want Pa to think that I would forgive him based solely on the promise of a "big surprise"), then I followed him, Aunt B, and Ma out the door.  Here's a video Sister shot of me discovering my surprise:


That's right, Pa and Sister bought me home a brand new, bright green, doggy pool!

Boy did that water feel good on my paws (not to mention my head when I stuck my face down into the ice cold goodness).  And when I started digging (the pool is the only place I'm allowed to dig--key word here is allowed), I came to the realization that everything was absolutely perfect.

But how was I going to thank Pa for buying me my pool (I've been brought up with world class manners after all)?  Suddenly, it came to me.   I looked up at Pa and gave a mighty shake.  A shower of water flew from my fur.  Now he was nice and cool too!

No comments:

Post a Comment