Tuesday, October 27, 2015

...And the Little One Said "Roll Over! Roll Over"

I'm a very determined pup.  If there is something I want then I will do everything in my power to get it.  When I see a crumb of food left on a tray table, I will stretch and crane my neck as far as I can to scoff it up (or bark hysterically at it until someone breaks down and hands it to me).  If I know that one of my toys is locked in the doll hospital (AKA front closet) waiting to be sewn up, I will try to steal it at every opportunity I get (or bark hysterically at it until someone breaks down and sews it for me).  And when I'm tired of sleeping on the cold hard floor and want to sleep on Ma and Pa's bed even though I'm not allowed to, well, let's just say that I have no problem resorting to some mischievous tactics.

It was a quarter to seven on Saturday morning and I had just awoken after having spent the entire night sleeping on my pillow in Ma and Pa's room.  With a yawn and a stretch, I got up off of my pillow and surveyed the room.  Ma and Pa were both asleep on the nice comfortable bed and didn't appear to be moving any time soon which was a problem because, despite the fact that my pillow is actually quite comfy, I really wanted to bask in the extreme comfort of the bed.

Now, as I've noted before, I'm technically not allowed on the furniture in my house (the only exception is Sister's bed).  That doesn't mean, however, that I will obey that rule.  You see, in the late morning, after everyone has gone to work, I've been known to climb up on Ma and Pa's bed and stare out the window until I eventually fall asleep.  I've also been known to crawl up onto the couch for a late evening nap.

So anyway, I really wanted to snooze on the bed, but I knew that there were two major obstacles standing in my way.  First was that Pa wouldn't approve of me jumping up on the bed.   The second was that since Ma and Pa were already up there, there really wasn't much room left for me.  Standing in the middle of the room, I started to think and quickly came up with a way of solving my dilemma.

First, I started yodeling in a loud voice accented with the occasional high pitched bark.  Next, I began dragging my snout along the floor.  Finally, I started throwing my butt up against the wall.

Eventually, Pa woke up.  Assuming that I was howling and carrying on because I wanted to go out, Pa dragged himself out of bed and, after informing me that he'd take me out as soon as he got dressed, he left the room.

With the click of the bathroom door, I knew that it was time to take action.  I scurried across the room and, with one giant leap, jumped up onto the bed.  Knowing full well that I only had a few seconds to secure my spot, I quickly threw myself down onto the mattress and curled up into a tight little ball.  I closed my eyes.

A moment later, Pa emerged from the bathroom and discovered me sleeping in his spot on the bed.  Needless to say, he was not particularly happy (I'm curious about what annoyed him more, that I was sleeping on the bed or that I had woken him up early to steal his spot).  Either way, I got the old heave-ho off the bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment