Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Really?!

So first there were squirrels.  Then there were bunnies.  Mustn't forget about those pesky robins or the deer, fish, voles, and turtles which can be found out east.  Then, of course, there was the cat and her kittens from last week.  So, given all that and figuring that the only remaining member of the animal species not accounted for was an elephant, I don't think I'd be blamed for assuming that my backyard couldn't possibly play host to another interloper.

Well, I was wrong.

Two days ago, I was hanging out outside in my backyard doing my doggy thing (basically looking for trouble to get into and barking hysterically at non-existent things).  Eventually, I snuffled my way over to the back corner of the property where I sniffed a leaf, stuck my nose in a shallow hole I dug a few weeks ago, and came across something interesting--something that smelled and acted weird.  Indulging my genetic instincts, I gently picked up the smelly twitchy thing (us Retrievers are known for our soft mouths except, of course, when we're gutting a toy or shredding wrapping paper) and scurried into the center of the yard.

Now, Pa knows me; he knows me very well.  He can tell when I'm up to no good and let's just say that he knew immediately that I had something that I wasn't supposed to have.  Quickly, he grabbed me and gave me a stern "drop it."  Out of my mouth popped a tiny little sparrow.

Definitely Doesn't Taste Like Chicken!
Ma and Pa quickly ushered me into the house then returned to tend to the tiny little bird.  Thinking that perhaps it had fallen out of its nest and was fatally injured, Ma suggested that Pa pick the bird up and deposit him in the fenced off vegetable garden where he'd be safe and left alone.  So, while I barked hysterically from inside the house, Pa attempted to scoop up the bird.  As for what happened next, let's just say that the little bird had more than enough life (and fight) left in it as did the mother bird who swooped in to defend her chick.  Deciding to leave well enough alone, Ma and Pa joined me inside.

The baby bird eventually flew away.  Sister, who was not present for the event, when told about it, suggested that we get a cat to take care of our bird problem.

I was less than amused.

No comments:

Post a Comment