Friday, March 3, 2017

Stranger Danger

It is a dangerous world out there.  Strange people and dogs pass by my house daily without my permission and don't even get me started on all the cats and squirrels I see prancing about!  As a result of this dangerous world, devilishly handsome pups such as myself must remain ever vigilant when it comes to stranger danger.  One can never be, after all, too careful.

Last weekend, Pa, Ma, Sister and I were hanging out in the house out east.  After lunch, everyone decided to split up and do their own things.  Ma and Sister drove to the beach (they didn't invite me to join them), Pa decided to work in the basement laundry/utility room (he didn't invite me to help), and I, left to my own devices, decided to catch up on some sleep.

Forty winks later, I was awoken by a rustling sound coming from the basement below me.  Cautiously, I made my way down the basement staircase to check out what was going on.  After doing a sweep of the sitting room, bathroom, and Sister's bedroom, I started to make my way back toward the stairs, convinced that I had imagined whatever I had heard and determined to find another sunny spot on the floor on which to continue my nap.  But just before I reached the stairs, the utility room's door flew open and out stepped a tall man wearing a work mask on his face.

It goes without saying that I was taken aback by this intruder.  I'm used to protecting the house from certain scary things (newspaper that blows off the table, menacing garbage cans, and jack-o-lantern decorations at Halloween), but I know my limitations and this man bypassed them easily.

Then, he spoke.  "It's okay Squirt," the masked man said.  "Check it out."

Nope.  Not me.  There was no way I was going to approach that man.  Instead, I stood stock still--ears square and tail extended, but still.

"No really, Squirt.  Check it out."

I refused to move a muscle.

"Okay, okay" the man said, then removed the work mask from his face.  "Better?"

It was Pa!

Immediately, my ears dropped and my tail started wagging in circles (that's how you can tell that I'm really happy--my tail wags in circles rather than side to side).  With my best cute-little-puppy-dog look, I scooted over to Pa to collect a much deserved ear rub.

No comments:

Post a Comment