Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Estate and My Best Friend


Well, my sister was right…today was totally awesome!

Bright and early my entire family piled into my sister’s car (I love car rides).  We drove for a long time and with each passing block I became more and more excited.  After a while we turned down a tree lined driveway and stopped at a little house.  My sister showed the lady in the house something while I gave her my cutest look.  And you know what?  That lady in the house didn’t give me anything!  No cookie.  No “my, isn’t he handsome.”  Nothing, nada, zilch!  I was crushed.  My sister drove away and a few seconds later the car stopped again.  “We’re here,” my sister said.

My best friend Mecki!
I jump out of the car and look around.  Woo-hoo!  It’s my estate!  It’s Old Westbury Gardens and there are dogs everywhere!  Now, for some reason, despite the fact that this is indeed my estate, I’m required to wear a leash.  I’ve argued with Pa about this in the past and while I didn’t win I did manage to wear him down to an agreement that we both can live with; the use of my 12 foot leash.  Dragging my family behind me (considering how long their legs are they all move very slowly) I made my way up the hill toward my house.  About half way there I noticed a familiar high pitched whine and saw two women being herded by a little brownish-black scruffy dog.  Could it be?  Yes!  It’s my best friend Mecki and he brought along his mom Karin and a very nice lady who turned out to be Karin’s mom.  And, as if this entire day couldn’t get any better, Karin brought me a giant squirrel cookie!  My sister gave a piece to Mecki and me and told me I could have the rest later (I had it for my “I didn’t lick the dishes as they were being put in the dishwasher” treat).  After Mecki and I collected pets from the people we did not come with and after Mecki jumped on me a couple of times (I was good this year and did not thwap him over the head—he’s a real nice guy but can sometimes be a bit annoying) we decided that it was time to survey my estate.

Taking a break
We walked down the stairs and around the pond (I made sure to walk through all the plants looking for interloping creatures that may have made my estate their home since the last time I visited).  Next we walked through the lilac path.  And then something shameful happened.  I lost my mind, threw myself into the wild geranium plants, and rolled around like a fool.  I really don’t know what came over me!  Anyway, as good as those plants smelled initially, their scent—now radiating from my fur—really started to bother me so I found a patch of nice clean grass and started rolling.  Mecki just looked on in horror.  Once I was done, we continued on and visited the Thatched Cottage where I met a nice cousin named Emma and took some pictures.  Next my entourage walked around the woodland lake and we met an American Bulldog named Boss.  We then stopped off on the great lawn and relaxed.    After a little while we all started heading back to our cars.  I said goodbye to Mecki, Karin, and her mom and eagerly jumped into my sister’s car so I could start napping (I was really, really tired!).  Just as I was getting comfortable, Pa woke me up to tell me we were home and that I had to get out of the car.  I staggered into the house and collapsed on my pillow, waking up only long enough to eat my dinner five hours later.
Overseeing my property

My sister told me that we could go back to our estate tomorrow provided it isn’t raining.  I just hope we don’t walk by those wild geraniums again!

No comments:

Post a Comment