Sunday, October 7, 2012

Attack of the Giant Chicken

It's been a very good week; my entire family has been on vacation.  Now, I know what you're thinking, "Doesn't having all those people hanging around the house upset your daily nap schedule?"  Truth be told, it does.  I've actually missed numerous naps this week and everyone knows how important beauty sleep is (I certainly don't want dark circles under bloodshot eyes).  Still, despite the loss of valuable nap time, I really love it when my humans take off from work to spend uninterrupted time with me.  They should do it more often.

It's also been a very enlightening week.  On Thursday, my family and I climbed into Ma's car and made our way out east to my new house (sans a food bowl I might add).  I didn't know it while we were driving, but I was in for one of the biggest surprises of my life!

The picture doesn't do it justice
It all started as soon as we got out of the car (okay, after I dragged Sister into the backyard to check out the perimeters).  Anyway, Ma and Pa were standing in the front of the house talking to the neighbors down the street when I came bounding out from the backyard to see what everyone was up to (I like to make sure that no one is having more fun than I am--and how could they if I'm not around).  As I rounded the bend, sprinting to the neighbors to introduce myself and collect my fair share of introductory pets, something caught my eye and caused me to stop dead in my tracks.  There, directly across the street from my house stood six to eight big, plump, beach ball sized chickens.  I was in complete shock!  I never knew birds could get so big (or look so much like giant stuffed dog toys).  I was so shocked that I couldn't even bark; all I could do was whine pitifully.  Sister kept a firm grasp on my leash and prevented me from chasing the birds which, at the time, was disappointing, but in hindsight a good thing.  Pa later told me that those were some tough chickens and they easily could have taken me out without a second thought (I imagine it would be highly embarrassing for me if I was chased down the street by a pack of giant angry chickens).  The chickens hung around all day--roosting in the trees, pecking for food, and clucking in a mocking sort of way.  I kept a cautionary watch on them from the window, just in case. 

And while I've got you...I have some really good news.  Sister found my Ken doll's leg trampled in the grass not far from where I left it two weeks ago.  I was so happy that I immediately grabbed it, threw myself onto the ground, and rolled around on my back.  Ahh...the simple things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment