Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Double Standard

Humans are fickle.  All my four legged friends will understand this statement without any additional explanation.  My two legged friends, on the other hand, might not quite understand what I'm referring to.  Allow me to explain:

Where have you been?
Last night, Ma, Pa, and Sister brought into the house from the backyard the Christmas tree they bought a week ago from an actual Christmas tree farm out east (an outing I was not invited to attend--a picture showing my displeasure upon their return can be seen on the right).  Now, this process isn't new to me; the fact is that this is the fourth time they have brought a Christmas tree into the house since I've lived here.  Still, I continue to find their actions regarding this tradition perplexing.  Why is it that they are allowed to drag a big green tree into the house every December, yet each time I find a particularly tasty tree branch, rock, or bug I have to leave it outside (where I am still not guaranteed the opportunity to reduce it to toothpicks, gnaw on it, or chase it)?  It just seems to be a bit of a double standard which clearly affects me negatively.

Of course, despite my displeasure at this contradiction, I am super excited about having a tree in my house.  So far, I've already checked it for squirrels and birds, scurried under it in an attempt to drink the water from its stand (Sister laughed at me because the tree's bottom branches are so low that I couldn't manage to slide my back end in deep enough to reach the water), and attempted to snap off a lower branch so that I could gnaw on it (if the tree is indoors, then the "no bringing outdoor sticks in" rule doesn't apply, right?). 

But it gets better!  My humans haven't even decorated the tree yet.  Decorations, for those who don't know, bring a whole new level of fun to the situation.  What can be better than ripping apart the little paper bird decorations Sister made and stealing crocheted Santa hats?

No comments:

Post a Comment