Sunday, January 13, 2013

Meeting A Fan


The sudden rush of activity yesterday morning could only mean one thing: It was going to be an out-east weekend! I watched with great interest as everyone filled their overnight bags and repeatedly went outside with Pa to help pack the car (Pa did all the heavy lifting; I just barked instructions). I threw a bit of a fit when Pa drove off briefly to get something at the store, but that was only because I was afraid he had forgotten to take me (oh, and Ma and Sister too).

After an excruciatingly long time, Pa finally declared that it was time to leave. It was at this moment, however, that the “idea” was hatched. You see, Sister apparently doesn’t appreciate the layer of fur I leave on her coat after each car ride. The solution my family came up with? Dress me up in one of Pa’s t-shirts. Why is it that the dog always suffers? Being the good natured dog I am, I allowed the shirt to be pulled over my head and my front paw’s to be placed in the arm holes (at least I didn’t have to wear pants, too), but for the record, I was not happy. I only hope Sister appreciates all the humiliation I endured just so that she didn’t have to get out of the car looking like me (though I don’t know why she wouldn’t want to look like me). As soon as we stepped foot into the house out east, Ma took the t-shirt off me. Thank you Ma!

The rest of the morning was fairly uneventful. It wasn’t until just after lunch time that the day got exciting.

I was snoozing happily alongside Pa’s chair in the dining room, when I was suddenly awoken by the sound of a car pulling into the driveway. Wasting no time (I didn’t even pause to stretch), I ran to the door to greet the visitor who, by this time, had made her way to the front door. I barked excitedly to alert everyone in the house that Mary, the real estate lady who found the house for my Ma and Pa, had arrived.

Now, I had heard a lot of nice things about Mary from my Ma and Pa, but they failed to mention two extremely vital things. The first was that she had dogs herself (a Boxer and Chihuahua), and although she didn’t bring them with her (an oversight on her part, I’m sure), I made sure to leave some fur and drool on her so that they could get a chance to meet me. The second thing I wasn’t aware of was that Pa had introduced her to my blog. Imagine my surprise when she inquired about my missing dew claw, the menacing chickens across the street, and the Ken leg I found (which has since gone the way of my dew claw). Needless to say, we bonded instantly. I even let her hold the tennis ball I greeted her at the door with, which, as my loyal readers know, I never do.

Mary stayed for a couple of hours giving me pets and telling me what a good boy I was. Not wanting to appear hoggish, I allowed Mary a little time to talk and have coffee and cookies with Ma, Pa, and Sister during which time I took a nap. Every once in a while, however, I woke up and strolled over to her for a scratch behind the ears.

After Mary left, I settled down on my pillow to finish off my early afternoon nap, but was rudely interrupted when Ma, Pa, and Sister (all of whom apparently had too much sugar in their coffees) decided, without asking my opinion, that a trip to the dog park was in order. Now don’t get me wrong, I love the dog park, but not when it interrupts my nap time! Anyway, we all piled into the car and Sister drove us to the park a few miles away and when we pulled into the parking lot, I saw a giant German Shepherd looking back at me through the park’s fence. I won’t lie and say that I wasn’t a little nervous (the dog’s head was about two times as large as mine), but after saying hello, I determined that he was a gentle giant like me and far more interested in the dirty tennis ball he was playing with than me.

Then something got into me. I don’t know what it was, it was as though something clicked inside my brain and suddenly I had this overwhelming urge to run. And run I did. I ran around like a crazy dog, kicking up mud in my wake. I paused briefly to sniff a little terrier dog named Toto that Ma and Sister were paying attention to, but quickly resumed my high speed circles. Then, just as quickly as it had come, the urge to run ebbed and I calmly walked toward the car.

Admiring the fire.
Needless to say, after all that excitement, I was completely worn out. I slept soundly on my pillow until my dinner time and hardly begged for food while my family cooked their dinners. Then, after all of our dinners, something wonderful happened. Sister made a fire in the fireplace.

As soon as it was lit I could feel the warmth and I was drawn to it. I love being nice and warm (except, of course, during the summer when, I feel, central air should be required in all buildings). I inched as close to the fireplace as Pa would allow me and sprawled out on the floor. An hour later, Sister gave me a scratch on the ear and commented on how warm my face and back were. It was pure heaven; a perfect ending to a perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment