Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Behold the Power of Cheese

The good old days!
Another steaming hot day.  Did you know that it's been nearly a year and a half since I've seen snow?  Now if that isn't depressing enough consider this:  A year and a half for humans like my Ma, Pa, or Sister equals to about ten in dog years.  Imagine no snow for ten years when you've been born with a thick (and snazzy) fur coat and a fun-loving personality.

Anyway, realizing my obvious discomfort, Pa, when he came home from work this evening, surprised me by setting up my doggy pool (don't worry--it had been more than an hour since I ate my dinner).  As soon as my pool touched the ground I jumped in it and immediately dedicated my attention to trying to drink all the water as it came out of the hose.  I failed, but I gave it a good try.  I wasn't disappointed by my failure for I had suddenly become aware of a little painted penguin clinging to the bottom of my pool.  Well, he seemed to be mocking me with his ducky inner-tube so I began to dig...and dig...and dig.  I dug my little heart out trying to get that penguin, but he always seemed just out of reach.  It didn't matter though.  Like a dog possessed, I continued to dig.

Suddenly, I heard something--a faint crinkling sound.  I stopped digging for penguins and raised my sopping wet snout in the air.  With a deep sniff I realized what had drawn my attention away from my pool.  Sloshing water behind me, I jumped out of my pool (spraying Pa and Sister--who had recently come outside to cheer me on with penguin quest, with water after a single, and well timed, swish of my tail), hot tailed it down the driveway, jumped up the side steps, and skidded to a halt in front of the side door.  Then I started to bark.

Sister, after a few seconds, caught up with me and asked me what I was 'yapping at' (on a side note, I am not particularly fond of her phraseology in this circumstance).  I barked in response, but apparently she wasn't paying attention because she still had no idea what I was trying to tell her.  Someone understood me though.  From inside the kitchen Ma called out:  "He heard me unwrapping a block of cheddar cheese."

No comments:

Post a Comment