Saturday, November 24, 2012

A Test


Me and my turkey
Before I begin, I want to wish everyone a very happy (and slightly belated) Thanksgiving! I am thankful for four things:

  1. My family and friends (both two legged and four legged)
  2. My seemingly endless supply of boney-bones to chew
  3. The turkey pieces Pa gave me 
  4. The fact that I didn’t get my usual pre-Thanksgiving bath

Thanksgiving was a lot of fun. Aunt B came over and we all ate a lot of tasty food. I personally had, in addition to my usual kibble dinner, some turkey (yum), breakfast sausage (scrumptious), a potato chip (tasty, but sadly lacking ranch dip), and then a parsnip which I chewed then spit out on the living room floor because it tasted yucky (can’t win them all I guess). The only way the day could have been better was if I managed to get a taste of the apple pie the humans had for dessert.

The next day, Friday, was a big day for me and my family. You see, my humans left me all alone in the house while they went out for a few hours. Now, I know what you’re thinking, “you’ve been left alone at home numerous times (which, by the way, you love because it’s hard work keeping track of your family and you only get a really good nap in when they leave the house), so what’s so different about this time?” Well, this time I was left alone, on my own, in the new house (where I have never been left alone for more than a couple of minutes).

Sadly I must report that my humans seemed a bit apprehensive with this milestone at first. Apparently, and I’m highly offended by this, they had some concerns that I might go crazy and start ripping apart the new couch (its two year guarantee covers spills not the shredding of material), or that I’d pull down all the curtains, or that somehow I’d manage to open the locked door, run into the backyard, roll in the mud, chase a few chickens, track the aforementioned mud into the house (locking the door behind me of course), and jump all over their nice new clean bed linens. Before I continue, let me first address their fears. I’ve never destroyed furniture before and while it is on my to do list, I’m very busy and there are far more interesting, and less time consuming, ways of getting into trouble. As for the curtains, I’d be much too concerned that the wooden rods that hold up the curtains might fall down on my head (which would hurt). And finally, as for that last concern…I love it! Why didn’t I think of that? I just need to figure out how to unlock the door by myself.

Anyway, I was a very good boy while they were gone. I looked out the front window for a time, I sniffed around for crumbs in the kitchen (sadly, there were none), and took a few good long naps. Later, when I heard a car pull into the driveway, I woke up and tried looking out the window to see if my family had returned, but unfortunately by that time it was dark outside and light inside so all I could see was my reflection in the glass (I was momentarily awestruck by how handsome that dog looking back at me was). So as to avoid another misunderstanding like the one I mentioned in my last post, I grabbed my tennis ball and ran to the side door even though I wasn’t totally sure that the car I heard belonged to my family or not. Well, turns out it was my family, and they really appreciated the greeting. Then, after a quick check of the house, I was praised by my Ma, Pa, and Sister for being so good while they were out. Apparently, they had became really worried when they pulled up into the driveway and saw me staring out the window with an annoyed look on my face which begs the question: Should I be insulted by the praise I did receive?

No comments:

Post a Comment