Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Two Sides of the Same Story

Ma and I had a bit of a disagreement this evening about a specific event which occurred when she came home from work.  I have chosen to share both sides of the story to allow my loyal readers a chance to decide on their own whose side of the story is accurate.

Ma's Side:  (AKA The Lie)
Ma parked her car in front of the house and started up the driveway toward the gate.  As she got closer, she noticed that I too was in the driveway, but rather than running over to her to greet her, I was simply staring into the next door neighbor's yard intently.  She opened the gate and walked in, closing the gate behind her with a loud click meant to gain my attention.  I didn't move.  She walked toward me calling my name, but, save for raising my ears up as though I heard a strange noise, I ignored her and continued staring into the other yard.

Suddenly, I turned and ran at top speed into the backyard to investigate a sound that only I heard.  Ma watched as I scurried in and out of the bushes searching for the source of the sound never realizing that Ma was right there.  

I might not have realized she was there, but someone else did:  the yellow lab next door named Honey.  Honey started barking because she wanted my Ma to pet her and I sprinted to the fence because I wanted to play with her (you see, according to Ma, Honey and I are really quite different.  Honey is a people dog--she likes to hang out with people.  I'm more of a dog's dog--I get along with people splendidly, but given my druthers, I prefer to hang out with other dogs).

When Honey's mom called her into the house, Ma started calling my name again which I seemingly ignored until, all of a sudden, her voice actually made it from my ears to my brain and I turned around to find Ma standing behind me.  I was overjoyed and ran to greet her.


My Side:  (AKA The Truth)
Ever since daylight savings time ended, I've noticed that it is very dark outside when Sister comes home from work and lets me out to explore.  As Head of Security, this darkness is quite problematic and could potentially lead to a major security breech.  Therefore, I must be extra vigilant in checking the property's perimeters for any intruders each evening.

With that said, I knew that Ma was due home from work at any moment and I wanted to make sure that there were no dangerous characters hanging around the property.  I was in the process of visually checking out the yard next door, when I noticed that Ma had just pulled up in front of the house.  Although I had every intention of running to the gate to greet her, I was distracted when I though I heard something on the other side of the fence.

While I was busy standing stock still trying to determine if someone (or something) was encroaching on my property, Ma had exited her car, entered through the gate, and was currently a few feet away from me.  It was then she started calling my name.  Now I can't express to you just how annoying that was.  There I was trying to determine if the sound I heard was coming from the next yard and I couldn't concentrate because Ma was making a ruckus.  

In between Ma shouting my name, I suddenly heard a sound coming from my backyard.  Desperate to keep Ma safe, I ran as fast as I could into the yard in search of the source of the sound.  I found nothing.

Then Honey appeared at the fence.  I quickly ran over to her to ask if she had seen or heard anything suspicious, but once again Ma was calling my name and I couldn't hear her answer.

Realizing that I wasn't going to be able to fulfill my position as Head of Security until I paid Ma some attention (I love her, but she can be so needy), I ran to her side to say hello.  Afterward, I considered continuing my search for the cause of the sound, but Ma suggested that we go inside for dinner and I figured that we'd all be safe inside the house.

So really, whose story do you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment