Monday, March 25, 2013

Preparing for the Easter Bunny

The scariest night of the year will occur in less than a week's time.  In the wee hours of Sunday morning, a giant furry rabbit will break into millions of homes throughout the nation (including my own) with the purpose of rummaging for carrots and leafy greens while depositing brightly colored eggs in his wake in a sad attempt at making up for the intrusion.

Yes, Easter is nearly here.

In anticipation of this brazen break in, I have spent the last couple of days trying to think of some line of defense against the large carrot-thieving rodent.  After all, not only am I protecting my property (you, my loyal readers, know how much it upsets me when a bunny infiltrates my backyard--just imagine how I must feel about a bunny in my house), but my reputation as well.

After much thought, I have come up with a surefire plan to snag my bunny:  I intend to stay up and wait for the Easter Bunny to appear then chase him out of my house barking hysterically.  Admittedly, staying up late enough to catch the bunny will be taxing (I do enjoy my beauty sleep) so, to stay alert, I will spend the nighttime hours crunching on the carrots the Bunny is breaking in to capture (not only will doing so prevent the Bunny from accomplishing his evil plan, but my intake of Vitamin A will significantly boost my eyesight thus making it easier to see the Bunny as soon as he breaks in).   I know, it is a great plan; well thought out, fool proof, and most importantly, containing a built in snack time.

Little did I know, however, that Sister was also working on a plan.

Not Amused!
Sister's plan involves me dressing up like one of the Bunny's kin in an attempt to lure him into a false sense of security.  I wagged my tail politely as she explained her plan to me, but I immediately could sense that Sister's suggestion was bound to impact me negatively.  It was then that Sister produced "The Ears."  At first, I mistook "The Ears" for a fluffy toy, but, on closer inspection, I realized that they weren't toys at all.  Like the good dog I am, I humored Sister and allowed her to balance the headband on my head then take a picture.  But then all my goodness ran out.  After hearing the click of the camera, I snatched the cookie Sister was using to distract me from "The Ears," threw my head back with a quick jerk, and caught "The Ears" as they flew off of my head and into the air (and Pa complains that I don't play catch).

Just a Little Mangled
Well, all hell broke loose after that.  I ran around in circles flipping the headband in the air, chomping on the yellow fluffy ears, and dragging them through the mud.  But that wasn't the best part of the entire experience.  Nope, the real enjoyment came from watching Sister run after me begging me to drop "The Ears."  At one point, she even tried enticing me over to her with a cookie (I resisted--the cookie looked good but my stolen prize was far more valuable).

Needless to say, "The Ears" are no more.  I definitely dodged a bullet on that one.

So bunnies beware.  My plan will be in affect starting first thing Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment