Sunday, March 31, 2013

An Easter Compromise


I'm just going to come right out and say it:  I fell asleep.  I had a perfect plan worked out to keep the Easter Bunny from breaking into my house on Easter morning (that didn't, Sister, require bunny ears), but that plan fell through.  The giant bunny managed to break into my house and, though he didn't get any carrots (turns out we didn't have any in the refrigerator), he did manage to seriously compromise my status as Head of Security. But I don't think it was entirely my fault that the bunny managed to breach security.  You see, my family kept me very busy yesterday and I was simply too exhausted to carry out my plan.  Let me explain.

My family is always telling me that I am a born helper dog.  I love getting right up and under the sink or toilet with whoever is doing plumbing (the smaller the space the better), I am a pro at turning large sticks into small sticks when I assist with the yard work, and I am very skilled at shredding old receipts and cancelled checks (the only problem is I tend to get a bit over exuberant and shred documents that I shouldn't--sorry Ma for this morning's shredding session).  Anyway, yesterday I was exceptionally helpful.  I helped, or at least tried to help (more on that later), all three members of my family.  Here's a rundown of what I accomplished.

Pa:  I helped Pa replace a window in the living room.  I helped in three ways:  I barked out instructions (I always need to remind Pa to measure twice and cut once), I accompanied him outside countless times to cut the trim and molding and carry garbage out of the house, and I kept an eye out for any misplaced tools I could herd back to Pa's side (and gnaw on if I got the chance).  Pa was very impressed by my helpfulness and made sure to tell Ma and Sister when they returned home from work and doing chores.

Sister:  I helped Sister make cupcakes for Easter.  When Sister cooks, I'm in charge of quality control and cleanup.  You see, not only does Sister give me samples of ingredients as she adds them to her recipes, but she also tends to be a bit of a messy cook.  Talk about a win win situation for me!  Yesterday, I patiently waited by her side to clean up bits of creamed sugar as if flew off the blades of her hand mixer and also muscled her out of the way when a piece of lemon zest fell to the floor between her and the dishwasher (after all, I didn't want her to accidentally slip).

Trying to Help Ma
Ma:  I tried to help Ma paint the living room, but apparently Ma didn't want my help.  No, I don't know why.  I tried to help when I noticed her struggling with the drop cloth, but apparently holding down one end by laying on it was not Ma's idea of helping.  Then I tried to retrieve her paint roller, but she definitely didn't seem too keen on that idea.  It was then that Ma blocked me out of the living room using a chair and a baby gate.  I was quite insulted and barked at her for a while.  Obviously, some people just don't appreciate an enthusiastic assistant.

And those are the reasons why, when I decided to merely rest my eyes for a minute last night, I fell deeply asleep thus giving the Easter Bunny his opportunity to break in and scrounge around for carrots and leafy greens.

Enjoying My Easter Toy
But you know what?  Maybe I was a bit harsh on the bunny.  Despite all my threats, the bunny left me a present:  a giant yellow chick plush toy (which Sister has already had to sew up three times).  Maybe, just maybe, if he keeps his visits limited to just once a year and doesn't tell those stupid little bunnies that keep trying to take over my backyard each summer about our agreement, we can get along just fine.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment