Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Puppy Files: Rigby v. Rug

Welcome to yet another edition of The Puppy Files, a series in which I travel down memory lane to when I was an itty bitty little puppy with large gnashing teeth and a bad attitude.

Today's tale is entitled:  Rigby v. Rug

It was a typical weekday afternoon.  Sister had just left for work after having spent her lunch hour entertaining me and I was planning on hunkering down for a well deserved nap.  But I was never going to get that nap; fate had other plans for me.

You see, rather than be visited by happy dreams and content yawns, I was suddenly overcome with the overwhelmingly urge to dig.

Dirt Hole, 2012
Water Hole, 2012
Now, my loyal readers know that I have a soft spot for digging.  Over the last couple of years, I've not only shared stories about at least two marvelous holes I've dug in the backyard, but I have also wowed my fans with tales of digging in the doggy pool.  I haven't, however, before today, disclosed the fact that I have been known to sleep dig (it's like sleep walking, only with digging--I get up in the middle of the night, find a carpeted corner of the room, and start digging frantically, completely oblivious to my family's attempts to wake me).  So, I have a history, but, with the exception of a few choice words muttered by the person who shirked his/her responsibilities and did not keep a close eye on me when they should have, my digging has always been harmless.

Anyway, I found myself stuck inside the house and driven by an overwhelming urge to dig.  I wandered around the first floor in search of the perfect location, but ended up being unimpressed with my options (you can't just dig anywhere!).  Then, all of a sudden, the answer came to me:  upstairs.

[I should take a moment to mention that, at this point in time, the second floor of the house had only just become available to me.]

So up the stairs I climbed and came face to face with the perfect digging place:  the landing (a three by three foot carpeted platform between two sets of perpendicular stairs).  As soon as I dug my claws into the carpet pile, I knew I had chosen the right spot.  Like a dog possessed, I hunkered down and started digging with abandon, completely oblivious to the world around me.

Minutes later, I came to my senses and looked down at the mess I had made.  The carpet was pulled back on itself, the backing was torn, and the carpet pad was shredded and deposited all over the stairs.  Only the tack strips-each of which harbored dozens of sharp upward pointing nails-remained on the newly exposed floor.

Panicked was an understatement of how I felt.  I had managed to do all this damage without cutting myself or tumbling down the stairs which was good (I was a bit clumsy as a pup), but I knew none of that really mattered if my family returned home and saw what I had done.  I needed to hide the damage.  But how?  Then, an idea came to me.

I ran down the stairs, skidded through the kitchen, and screeched to a halt at the dining room table.  Rearing up on my hind legs, I put my front paws on the table and grabbed an unopened envelope, a piece of scrap paper, and a magazine.  I then jumped back down onto the floor and hot-footed it back up the stairs to the scene of the crime.  I then proceeded to shred the unopened mail, scrap paper, and magazine into tiny pieces and deposited them neatly over the destroyed carpet.

Let's just say, my family was not fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment