Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Doggy Pool

It's been really hot.  I mean really, really hot.  It's days like these that make me wish I didn't have my gorgeous golden locks.  I know they're very becoming on me, but how would you feel if you had to wear a fur coat in 90 degrees plus heat?  It's not particularly fun let me tell you. 
 
Me in my pool
Yesterday, Sister came up with the perfect way of beating the heat (well, second best...sleeping in the air conditioning will always be number one):  she set up the doggy pool!  I love my doggy pool.  It provides me just enough water to play in yet not enough water that I might actually have to swim (I don't like it when my feet leave the ground).  I also appreciate the fact that my pool doesn't have waves.  The only problem I have is the annoying penguins wearing swimmies that are painted on the bottom.  They're a bit distracting--I try again and again to pull them up but all I get is snoutfuls of water.

Anyway, as soon as Sister pulled my pool out of the garage and put it down on the patio I got excited.  In fact, I was so looking forward to the fun coming my way that I jumped into the pool before Sister could even turn on the water.  When she finally did turn the water on, I started lapping it up as it flowed from the hose.  Now I'm not sure anyone else is aware of this, but I've noticed that water direct from the backyard hose tastes worlds better than any water I find sitting in my water dish (even when there are ice cubes floating in it).  Anyway, aside from liking the taste, it's also my personal goal of someday drinking the water faster than it fills the pool.  I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it.

Trying to catch a penguin
After drinking my fill, I decided to just stand around and let the cool water wash over my tootsies.  It felt really good; really refreshing.  After cooling off a bit I decided that I should have a go at one of those penguins at the bottom of my pool.   I picked out a penguin and furiously started to dig.  Now, for some reason, my humans don't have a problem with me digging in my pool.  I know; it doesn't make sense to me either.  Why is digging in the flower beds so different from digging in the pool?  It really seems to be pretty much the exact same thing to me.  I guess it falls under the category that humans are fickle creatures.  Anyway, I never did catch the penguin.  I did, however, manage to get not only myself soaking wet (which made me feel a little bit cooler), but my Sister as well (she seemed less than pleased for some reason). 

Even clean up was fun!  At the end of the day it was Sister's job to bail out all the water I had failed to slosh out when I was digging for penguins.  I watched with great interest as she used a giant pail to throw the pool's water across the lawn.  "Flying water?" I thought, "that looks like fun!"  I waited patiently for Sister to fill the next bucket and just as she tossed its contents into the air I ran after the airborne water biting at it.  I managed to catch some of the flying water, but mostly I succeeded at getting myself soaking wet again.  Sister and I continued to play our catch the water game until the doggy pool was (sadly) empty.  

Look how cool & happy I am
Obviously, I had a grand time yesterday.  But do you know what the most amazing part of the entire experience was?  I was so preoccupied with my pool that I completely forgot about my obsessive search for the stupid bunny that keeps appearing in our vegetable garden.  It's amazing the power the doggy pool has!

No comments:

Post a Comment